Why Does My PTA Need Insurance?

Just like a business, your PTA is exposed to certain risks that you may or may not be aware of.  You may do everything you can to prevent something from happening to your PTA, but in reality no one can guarantee that things are going to run smoothly all of the time.  PTAs are not immune from liability.  Your PTA insurance policy will protect not only the assets of the PTA and the officers/board members, but can pay attorney fees to defend you, whether the lawsuit has merit or not.  There are five separate risks that your PTA needs to be aware of:

General Liability:  Protects your PTA if someone gets injured at one of your events and holds the PTA responsible.  Some of these activities include, but are not limited to, concession stands, end of year parties, swim parties, bounce houses, dunking booths, fun runs, auctions, etc.

Accident Medical:  Designed to “compliment” your General Liability insurance, it provides medical coverage for risks that are specifically excluded from the liability policy such as, but not limited to, mechanical rides, school buses, automobiles and watercraft.

Bond:  Covers anyone that your PTA trusts with money whether it’s an officer, board member, volunteer or “courier”.  If a person embezzles your money, this policy could replace those missing funds.

Property:  Protects your “raffle/auction” merchandise, fundraising supplies while it’s in your possession.  This policy protects any personal property of your PTA such as popcorn machine, snow cone makers, school store supplies, emergency preparedness supplies, etc.

Directors & Officers Liability:  Protects officers for any decision making that they do.  If someone sues the officers for mismanaging or misrepresenting the PTA, this policy would pay legal bills and provide protection for these allegations.

NOTE:  Insurance requirements vary by school district.  The school district’s insurance policy does not cover PTA events.  Check with your principal, school district and/or County Council PTA (if any) on what coverage is required in your county.  Many County Council PTAs include insurance with their yearly dues, check with your county council PTA.